Camtasia is paid desktop recording software which saves the recorded files in the .camrec format. Such files could not be played by other players than Camtasia.
Camtasia .camrec files can be converted to other video files like avi, mp4 using Camtasia itself. There is no need to use any other video converter software.
There are two ways to convert the video as described below in details.
Convert the file using Camtasia:
1. Open Camtasia studio.
2. Click on "Import media." Select the .camrec file you wish to convert to AVI/MP4 and click "Open" to import it into the clip board.
3. Drag the file from the board onto the video timeline.
4. Click the "Produce and share" button present near the video screen to open the Production Wizard.
5. Select "Custom production settings" from the drop-down and click "Next."
6. Select "AVI-Audio Video Interleave" from the list of formats to convert the file into avi format.
7. Click "Next" for all the other selections to continue with default settings.
8. Provide a filename into the Production Name box on the Produce Video screen and select a location to save the file.
9. Click on "Finish". After conversion, the video will play automatically and also saved to your selected location.
10. Click "Finish" to exit.
Checkout this YouTube video guide!
Convert the file without using Camtasia:
1) Right click on the .camrec file and move the mouse over "Extract" option.
2) Select option to convert the file into AVI format and conversion will start.
3) It will take some time to convert the file depending on the hardware and file size.
Note: The above method worked for some users including me. This may not work for everyone.